If I conducted an informal poll of my clients, friends and colleagues, I could probably safely assume that a significant portion of my personal connections would respond that their passion and career are not in alignment. I could surmise that the majority of my personal and professional circle is comprised of midcareer professionals and their discontent stems from the fact that they are at the top of career curve working their way down the other side. Perhaps they aren’t doing what they would like to do at the present time because to embark on a career change at this stage in life would be just too damn hard and stressful!
Having survived a career transition in 2012 after more than 20 years in a different industry, I can personally attest to the fact that a career change can produce a lot of anxiety and frustration. Likewise, it requires some soul searching and getting in touch with one’s authentic self to explore one’s true passion and how it can fit into a career plan. Looking back, despite all the emotional turmoil that a career change generates, it was worth it to embark on a career path that I am passionate about.
If you’re at the crossroads of a career change and fumbling with answers as to your next career move, grab a pen and paper and write your answers down to these thought provoking questions:
- What did you dream about being when you grew up?
- What does your perfect work day looks like?
- What activity excites and boosts your enthusiasm?
- If you could do anything you wanted to earn living with no regard to financial compensation or set qualifications, what would it be?
- Thinking about the responsibilities of your current position, what aspects do you enjoy?
- What are some aspects of your job that you don’t like?
- What is the one aspect from preventing you from changing your current job or occupation?
Hopefully these questions triggered some critical thought processes and encouraged some deep thinking on your part.
- How does your perfect work day compare to your real work day?
- How can you incorporate some passion into your everyday life?
- Are you interested in discovering how you can turn your passion into a job or business opportunity?
If you are curious to know if your interests and current occupation are in alignment, visit this online interest profile assessment and find out.
If you’re ready to turn your true passion into a job that you love or want to accelerate your job search to greener pastures, let me lead the way! I can help you move forward in your quest for rediscovering the ‘happy’ in your career through customized 1-1 Career and Job Search Coaching. Connect with me via LinkedIn and send me a message. Let’s Chat!